Thursday, February 3, 2011

27 Below

Okay, okay, I guess it wasn't the last one. The baby's due date is today and it still hasn't come. I was SURE it was going to come the day before yesterday because I had good, hard contractions three minutes apart for several hours, but they never got very painful and when I went to bed they went away. I guess it was just very convincing false labor. So...since I still have a belly I will try to get my husband to take a good belly picture to post. :)

It turns out it was a good thing I didn't go into labor that night because we had a major cold front come through, the pipes froze, and the only running water was the kitchen sink. It would have been hard to have a water birth with practically no water. Then yesterday I hardly had any braxton hicks at all, which I found very discouraging because I'm ready for this to progress to the end. However, the temperature never rose above 10 degrees yesterday and when we woke up this morning it was 27 degrees below zero outside. Needless to say, the pipes froze again and we had a hard time keeping the temperature up in the house.

It has warmed up today, reaching a high of 36, so the pipes are all thawed and we are able to keep the house warm enough that I wouldn't be so worried about how a brand newborn baby would be able to deal with it. So, thank you Heavenly Father, for not sending us the baby when we weren't as ready for it as we thought we were, but...now we're ready. Pleeeeeeaaaassseee....

P.S. Dealing with the cold was unpleasant enough that it made us rethink how much we might like living in Alaska. I wasn't sure anyway, even though it's beautiful, but my husband has seriously considered it. We haven't enjoyed these super freezing temperatures (especially when it comes time to feed the animals and it is still 22 below--yuck!), but we're pretty sure 27 below is NUTHIN' in Alaska. I'm not quite sure we're tough enough for that yet.

1 comment:

Analei said...

heheheh. Still that's a pretty cold temperature for the lower 48s. I think you guys would do awesome in Alaska!!! Just saying. Good luck with your baby!