So, a few comments on this page have clarified the whole "gotten" and "forgotten" thing. My English mother-in-law tells me that they do indeed use the word forgotten, just not gotten. One of those English language things like mouse, mice and house...houses, I suppose. Go figure. But then I got another post from someone who has a book about usages in the English language--and I think it means English, not American, since it is published in London...anyway, here is a quote: "Lost Beauties of the English Language, by Charles Mackay, LL.D., published 1987 by Bibliophile Books, 18 New Concordia Wharf, London, SE1 2BB, England. On page 82 is this entry: Gotten, past participle of get. 'We know we were gotten far enough out of their reach.' Robinson Crusoe"
So, then we have established that "forgotten" is okay, but is it "got" or "gotten"?
The ideal Linux Laptop for power users
-
One tablet shows signs of improvement battery life. The one by it has a
somewhat quicker GPU. That one over yonder is .00075 nanometers more
slender. Minor...
10 years ago
1 comment:
You know, I do have a gmail account -- I just forgot that the g stands for google! So now I can post comments. I feel silly, but then I often do! Love your beautiful scenery.
Post a Comment